A St Louis Personal Insurance Update
Would you be able to remember every item you have accumulated over the years if they were all gone? Recent survey results show 65 percent of homeowners have not made a list or inventory of their possessions. Of those individuals with a home inventory, 40 percent do not have receipts, 30 percent do not have photos of their property, and 35 percent do not have a back-up copy of the inventory outside the home.
If your home is damaged or totally lost due to a fire or other event, having a home inventory will help you recover all your personal property with the least amount of time and stress. Creating and updating an inventory of your personal possessions is one of the best ways to make the most of your homeowner’s insurance, and makes filing a claim easier and more efficient.
Creating a personal home inventory helps in calculating how much your personal property is worth. Knowing this ensures that you have an accurate value to insure. If you have too little coverage, you would not have enough funds to replace lost property, and if you have too much coverage, you are paying higher premiums than you need to.
Home Inventory Tips
· A home inventory helps settle claims accurately and promptly.
· A home inventory provides required documentation of ownership and value.
· A home inventory helps with estate documentation.
· Keep all receipts and a detailed record of antiques, electronics, jewelry, and major appliances.
· Include make and model in your description.
· Continuously update your personal home inventory as you acquire new items.
· Photograph or video record your inventory items. Make sure videotapes and photos are dated. Store in a fireproof box or at secondary location.
· Categorize clothes by type and number (for example, five dress pants @125.00 each = $625.00). You can also categorize books the same way.
The best way to start your home inventory list is to go room by room. Take on three rooms per day, and you will be done in no time. We are an independent agency focusing on the needs of our clients. We have relationships with dozens of insurance companies, allowing you to get the most competitive price along with our fast service. Whether you have the ideal history preferred companies desire or a not so perfect history, we offer the products for you. Certain types of changes to your policy can be requested directly from our website twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week by selecting any of our convenient forms located at the left.