There is no question that storms, high winds and other natural disasters can cause considerable damage. Is your home ready to withstand powerful gusts of wind and pounding hail? While damage from strong storms is often inevitable, there are steps you can take to minimize harm to your property and protect your personal safety. The recent crazy weather over the past several months is a good reminder that we need to be ready for almost any kind of weather. It is also a good idea to have an insurance check up to make sure you have the right kind of coverage to protect your home and assets.
Hailstorms don’t last long, but they can pack a real punch. Every year, hail causes nearly $1 billion in damages, mostly to roofs and cars. Here are a few tips to keep yourself and your home safe and protected.
Before a Hailstorm
· Repair roofs and gutters.
· Double check your insurance for proper coverage.
· Have an emergency kit with a three day supply of food and water.
· Know the signs that a hail storm is approaching. Hail storms are produced by strong thunderstorms, and signs may include very dark clouds, strong winds, thunder and lightning and heavy rainfall.
· Check your roof for any damage that will make it more susceptible to a hail storm.
· Make a plan. A hailstorm can disrupt electrical service. Hailstorms are often accompanied by other severe weather events such as hurricanes and tornadoes. Prepare your family for the hazards and inconveniences of a hailstorm by creating a disaster preparedness plan, including a disaster survival kit and an emergency evacuation plan.
During a Hailstorm
· Stay calm.
· Park your car in a covered area. Motorists should pull off to the side of the road, away from trees or other areas where debris could fall, and stay undercover until the storm has passed. Hailstones, especially large ones, can easily crack or shatter a car windshield.
· Stay away from windows and broken glass.
You may need to make temporary repairs to keep your home from further loss. If you do have damage, report the claim as soon as possible.
At the Alternatives Insurance® Group, our associates are dedicated to providing every client with an insurance product tailored to fit their individual needs. Whether it be personal or business insurance needs, we will provide the tools and resources necessary. We will continue to review, improve and renew our products as well as maintain relationships with our insurance company partners. Our exceptional efforts and commitment ensure all of our clients' needs will be met completely, competitively and proudly by the Alternatives Insurance® Group of agencies.